TODAY: I make a pact to support and encourage myself – for the long haul.
I realize that no one will give me the life that I want. Only I can do that. And I will!
In my intro text for this site I mention how few and far between the role models are for women of African descent living and working in Europe. That’s why an article written by Tara Sophia Mohr on HuffPo – “10 Rules For Brilliant Women” – really struck a chord with me. And I asked myself: “How do these 10 rules translate to gain relevancy in the lives of women of African descent?” In the coming 10 weeks I’ll be sharing my own spin on those 10 rules with all of you.
During the TableTalks my panelists and I talked about “critical mass”. The fact that – compared to the US – there still aren’t enough people of African descent in European countries to easily ensure the kind of presence and representation we need to actively counteract stereotypes and general lack of knowledge about us. (Mind you, I said it can’t be done as easily, not that it couldn’t be done at all!)
Here’s why having role models that look like us is so important:
- …they give us the courage to dream and aspire to something bigger and better than “common wisdom” has taught us to expect for ourselves! Not “up in the sky, by and by”, but here and now!
- …they show us that it can be done! Whether it’s publishing a book, getting a promotion or simply having a fulfilling relationship with partners and our communities.
- …they help others to have as much faith in our dreams and aspirations as we do ourselves! Seeing is believing – so the more (often) people see us successfully navigating the straits of our lives, the sooner barriers of ignorance and malevolence will crumble.
But there is nothing a role model can do for you, if you are not willing to do for yourself – first!
So, starting today, make that conscious step to say “yes” to yourself.
- Yes to your values and goals and strengths.
- Yes to your history and accomplishments and dreams.
- And – most importantly – yes to the journey you’ve chosen for yourself!