In the week leading up to the first TableTalk – The Expat Talks or “What’s a nice (Black American) girl like you doing in a place like this?” on 15 July 2010 – I will be introducing the ladies who have been kind enough to be a part of our panel.
It’s therefore my extreme pleasure to make my first introduction:
Carolyn is an American expat living in the Netherlands with her multicultural family. She is an author, editor and blogger.
I “met” Carolyn via her blog, Black and Abroad, which was the 2009 winner of the coveted Best International Blog – Judge’s Choice – at the Black Weblogs Award.
Carolyn has a strong academic background which is reflected in her master’s degree in Latin American literature. She has taught both English and Spanish at universities in the US, as well as in her adopted home, the Netherlands.
Carolyn’s memoir – also called “Black and (A)Broad” – will be published in September. Far from being yet another “how-to” book about travel, Carolyn’s book is a very personal tale focusing on how traveling and moving overseas have transformed her identity as a black woman.
Tune in to hear more about Carolyn’s and the other ladies’ stories this Thursday!
- Event: The Expat Talks or “What’s a nice (Black) American girl like you doing in a place like this?”
- Date: 15 July 2010
- Time: 7.30pm CET // 1.30pm EST
- Duration: Approx. 90 minutes
- Dial-in: +1-646-716-7671 (Dial in to be a part of the live conversation!)
- URL: http://j.mp/bXsQZx (Listen via internet and ask questions via live chat option!)